The Best Refrigerator Brands of 2022
To find a fridge you can rely on with all the features that matter most, start by zeroing in on the best brand for you.
Refrigerators are likely used more than any other major appliance in the home, except perhaps for the heating and cooling system. With such frequency of use, it’s important to invest in a durable, energy-efficient fridge from a reliable brand to preserve your food at the right temperature.
To narrow the field when you shop for the best refrigerator, use this guide to learn more about today’s top-quality brands. You’ll gain insight into why consumers trust these manufacturers, what their products are known for, and how their versatile food storage options, innovative features, and attractive designs may function in your kitchen. Also, check out the Editor’s Choice picks from each company to hone in on a top pick that might just suit your family’s needs.
Since a best refrigerator brand is usually known for offering a quality selection of products that serve the needs of its users, we’ve gathered our Top Picks from each of the best refrigerator brands to help you home in on a refrigerator that might suit your family’s needs.
About the Brand: In business for more than a century, KitchenAid is an appliance brand that is known for refrigerators and several other kitchen appliances that have a range of versatile options.
Price Range: $$ to $$$$
The KitchenAid brand, founded in 1919 by the Hobart Corporation, is now owned by the Whirlpool Corporation. This company is based in the U.S., which keeps shipping and repair costs down for American consumers. Due to KitchenAid’s affiliation with Whirlpool and its extensive range of products, this brand can offer a wide assortment of sizes, styles, and features unavailable in some smaller brands.
While its advanced products sit at the high end of the affordability scale, most KitchenAid refrigerators are midrange models with modest prices that have the durability and reliability of top-end models. However, if smart-home and Wi-Fi capabilities are important features, look into LG or Samsung (both described below).
- KitchenAid French Door Refrigerator: The brand’s KRMF706ESS refrigerator is a great example of KitchenAid’s ingenuity. It features a five-door configuration and two independent cooling systems, as well as a built-in ice and water dispenser. Get the KitchenAid French Door Refrigerator at The Home Depot for $3,779
- KitchenAid French Door Counter-Depth Refrigerator: With the ability to blend into a minimalist modern kitchen, this counter-depth refrigerator in black stainless with a fingerprint-resisting coating offers 23.8 cubic feet of interior space without interrupting the sleek line of an adjacent countertop profile. Get the KitchenAid French Door Counter-Depth Refrigerator at Best Buy for $4,229
Shop for more KitchenAid refrigerators at:
About the Brand: LG is considered a high-end electronics brand, so it’s no surprise that the company’s fridges are known for Wi-Fi and smart-home compatibility.
Price Range: $$ to $$$
Founded in South Korea in 1958, LG Electronics stands for Lucky Goldstar and refers to the company’s tagline, “Life’s Good.” It’s a household name across America due to its high-quality televisions, computers, and innovative appliances. Due to the brand’s popularity and a separate U.S. headquarters in New Jersey, repair technicians don’t have problems finding parts, which can be a problem with other internationally-based companies.
Prioritizing innovation over standard functionality, the range of extra features on LG refrigerators can seem a bit daunting at first. Yet some consumers have come to appreciate bells and whistles like voice-activated commands, door-in-door access, and designated door cooling systems to keep items in the doors just as cold as those stored in the main compartments. These high-tech features do come at a higher cost than more basic models.
- LG Electronics 3-Door French Door Smart Refrigerator: Connect to the LFXS26596S refrigerator through Wi-Fi with a smartphone, tablet, or computer to change the temperature, adjust the ice maker settings, and receive notifications if the door is open or the water filter needs to be replaced. Get the LG Electronics 3-Door French Door Smart Refrigerator at The Home Depot for $3,199
- LG Counter-Depth Refrigerator with Craft Ice: For the frequent entertainer and party host, this counter-depth refrigerator can be a good choice, as it doesn’t interrupt the walking and gathering area by jutting out from the counters. It also makes three kinds of ice, including slow-melting round ice. Get the LG Counter-Depth Refrigerator with Craft Ice at Best Buy for $3,599.99
- LG Top-Freezer Energy Star Refrigerator: If budget is a main driver for a refrigerator purchase, a classic white top-freezer model can be a good fit. This model was rated Energy Star Most Efficient in 2020 and has digital temperature controls and LED panels for a bright, energy-efficient interior. Get the LG Top-Freezer Energy Star Refrigerator at Lowe’s for $699
Shop for more LG refrigerators at:
About the Brand: Now a U.S. subsidiary of Electrolux, Frigidaire has been producing refrigerators for more than 100 years, making it one of the most reliable refrigerator brands available.
Price Range: $ to $$$
While the Frigidaire brand is now a U.S. subsidiary of the Stockholm, Sweden-based appliance company Electrolux, the brand began in 1916 as the Guardian Frigerator Company in Fort Wayne, Indiana, and was later renamed Frigidaire when the company was bought by General Motors. This long history of producing high-quality refrigerators, including the first self-contained refrigerator back in 1918, has led to well-deserved recognition as one of the most reliable refrigerator brands on the market.
Frigidaire produces a wide assortment of refrigerators from basic, budget-friendly models to high-end products with features comparable to those from LG and Samsung (often at lower prices). The company name is so firmly established that as late as the mid-1900s, the brand was so synonymous with the product that many Americans referred to any refrigerator as a Frigidaire.
- Frigidaire French Door Refrigerator: Reliable, efficient, and well organized, the FFHB2750TS refrigerator features two French doors plus a pull-out deep freezer with adjustable storage and a built-in filtration system for pure ice and water directly from the fridge. Get the Frigidaire French Door Refrigerator at The Home Depot for $2,114
- Frigidaire Mini Fridge: Whether a small fridge is needed for a hangout space or a small kitchen, this Frigidaire model includes multiple door racks, a box-style freezer, and two adjustable shelves at a low price. Get the Frigidaire Mini Fridge at Best Buy for $159
- Frigidaire Professional Refrigerator Freezer Combo: For busy kitchens that require more than the standard amount of food storage space, this extra-large 19-cubic-foot refrigerator with 19-cubic-foot freezer is offered at a bargain price for this category of fridges. Get the Frigidaire Professional Refrigerator Freezer Combo on Amazon for $7,349
Shop for more Frigidaire refrigerators at:
About the Brand: With a long history in appliance manufacturing, Whirlpool found its niche in the industry with energy-efficient refrigerator designs that keep food cold and utility costs low.
Price Range: $ to $$$
The Whirlpool Corporation, which started out as the Upton Machine Company, didn’t produce refrigerators until it acquired the Seeger Refrigerator Company in 1955. Today, Whirlpool is well known for manufacturing a range of energy-efficient refrigerators. Whirlpool has nine manufacturing facilities across the U.S. and owns a number of smaller appliance brands, including KitchenAid, Maytag, and Amana.
Expect to find the Energy Star symbol on most of Whirlpool’s refrigerators due to the company’s focus on producing eco-friendly and sustainable appliances, meeting modern consumer demand. This brand also offers a wide range of sizes and features, as well as easy-to-find replacement parts, making repairs for Whirlpool (and its associated brands) an affordable alternative to replacing the entire fridge.
- Whirlpool Bottom Freezer Refrigerator: Designed to be eco-friendly and energy efficient with high-efficiency LED lights, the WRB322DMBM refrigerator is Energy Star–qualified and has a Tier I rating by the Consortium for Energy Efficiency (CEE). Get the Whirlpool Bottom Freezer Refrigerator at The Home Depot for $1,529
- Whirlpool Counter Depth Refrigerator: For smaller spaces, this 24-inch-wide refrigerator offers 12.7 cubic feet of food storage space with features to max out the space: an overhead can-storage loft, gallon door bin, and bins and shelves that adjust easily. Get the Whirlpool Counter Depth Refrigerator at The Home Depot for $1,299
- Whirlpool 4-Door Refrigerator: For those who enjoy the accessibility of a freezer drawer, this model offers that with a fridge drawer just above. The Energy Star–certified French door refrigerator is available in three fingerprint-resistant finishes. Get the Whirlpool 4-Door Refrigerator at Walmart for $2,499
Shop for more Whirlpool refrigerators at:
About the Brand: In the appliance manufacturing industry, Samsung specializes in producing refrigerators with high-quality Wi-Fi and smart-home features that can integrate with mobile devices and smart-home systems.
Price Range: $$$ to $$$$
South Korea–based Samsung is renowned for producing high-end electronics and is currently one of the largest smartphone manufacturers in the world. The company was founded over 80 years ago as a trading company, diversifying its interests and entering the electronics industry in the late 1960s.
Samsung today combines innovative technology with reliable appliances, often incorporating features into their refrigerator products like smart-home compatibility, voice commands, remote access, and touch screen displays—high-tech extras that tend to increase the price tag for their products.
- Samsung 4-Door Family Hub Smart Refrigerator: Manage calendars, play music on Spotify, and share pictures with the RF28R7551SR refrigerator thanks to a built-in touch screen that serves as a digital bulletin board. Get the Samsung 4-Door Family Hub Smart Refrigerator at The Home Depot for $3,419
- Samsung 4-Door Flex French Door Refrigerator: This sleek minimalist refrigerator offers a 29.2-cubic-foot capacity with a built-in water pitcher, UV deodorizing filter, and the ability to customize the lower-right storage to be a fridge or freezer. Get the Samsung 4-Door Flex French Door Refrigerator at The Home Depot for $2,879
- Samsung BESPOKE Flex Column Refrigerator: Available in navy, gray, or white, this slim refrigerator works with modern design styles. It offers flexibility with its convertible door as well as whether it serves as a fridge or freezer. Get the Samsung BESPOKE Flex Column Refrigerator at Best Buy for $1,169.99
Shop for more Samsung refrigerators at:
6. GE Appliances
About the Brand: Few manufacturers can match the steadfast durability of GE Appliances’ refrigerators and other household appliances.
Price Range: $ to $$$$
GE Appliances got its start back in 1889 when Thomas Edison’s research was financed by Drexel Morgan & Co., merging with Edison’s existing company to form the Edison General Electric Company, shortened to General Electric in 1892. After more than a century of experience in electronics and appliances, GE Appliances is still one of the most popular appliance manufacturers in America.
GE makes quality products with a range of sizes and features consistent with current consumer demand, but their hallmark has long been durability—appliances that can stand up to rough use, like doors being yanked open and slammed shut. The exteriors are typically resistant to stains and dents, while the hinges are thick and robust, preventing doors from bending or breaking.
- GE Appliances Smart 4-Door French Door Refrigerator: The durable stainless steel exterior and robust doors of the PVD28BYNFS refrigerator make it ideal for homes with kids and pets, where household appliances endure considerable wear and tear. Get the GE Appliances Smart 4-Door French Door Refrigerator at The Home Depot for $3,599
- GE Mini Fridge Double-Door Design: With 3.1 cubic feet of space, this mini fridge has a crisper, tall bottle storage, partial automatic defrost, and interior lighting. Offered in stainless steel, white, and black, the fridge can blend with many design styles. Get the GE Mini Fridge Double-Door Design on Amazon for $319
- GE Counter-Depth Side-by-Side Refrigerator: Offering a built-in look with its counter-depth size, this side-by-side refrigerator’s water filtration uses MWF or XWF filters that reduce pharmaceuticals from water and ice. It is available in four finishes: black, slate, white, and stainless steel. Get the GE Counter-Depth Side-by-Side Refrigerator at Lowe’s for $2,599
Shop for more GE refrigerators at:
About the Brand: Big families and overzealous grocery shoppers appreciate Maytag’s spacious refrigerators.
Price Range: $ to $$$
Now owned by the Whirlpool Corporation, Maytag was founded in 1893 in Newton, Iowa, and started producing refrigerators in 1946, establishing the brand as an American household favorite. While some other brands may focus on high-end features and striking visual designs, Maytag focuses on functionality and spaciousness for its refrigerators.
The company’s big fridges can handle a lot, from bulk grocery orders to holiday leftovers. Do keep in mind that the larger the size, the higher the price.
- Maytag French Door Refrigerator: With a total capacity of just under 25 cubic feet, the Maytag MFI2570FEZ refrigerator has French doors for total or partial access to the fridge and a large pull-out freezer, making it ideal for bulk grocery orders. Get the Maytag French Door Refrigerator at Best Buy for $2,159.99
- Maytag Side by Side Refrigerator: With fingerprint-resistant stainless steel, this refrigerator offers a soft freeze bin that keeps ice cream soft enough to scoop. There is a humidity-controlled crisper, adjustable gallon door bins, and an ice dispensing system that frees up space inside the freezer. Get the Maytag Side by Side Refrigerator at The Home Depot for $1,529
Shop for more Maytag refrigerators at:
About the Brand: A relatively new brand from GE, Café caters to the selective consumer who’s looking for distinct aesthetic appeal—and willing to pay for it!
Price Range: $$$ to $$$$
The name may not seem familiar, because GE Café became its own niche brand, known simply as Café, in 2018. Though still owned by GE, Café products are made for that portion of the consumer market looking for aesthetic appeal over affordability. Café refrigerators have distinct designs, like LED light walls, which are unique to this brand.
Most Café products include such premium features as built-in water filtration, smart-home integration, auto water dispense functions, and proximity lights that illuminate the fridge when someone approaches. Good looks and the latest advancements come with a pretty high price tag.
- Cafe Smart 4-Door French Door Refrigerator: This sleek Café CVE28DP2NS1 refrigerator features a bold LED light wall to illuminate the contents and an exterior made of fingerprint-resistant stainless steel. Get the Cafe Smart 4-Door French Door Refrigerator at The Home Depot for $3,779
- Cafe French Door Refrigerator: A French Door counter-depth refrigerator provides a built-in, upscale look in the brand’s stunning matte white finish that offers fingerprint resistance. Get the Cafe French Door Refrigerator at The Home Depot for $2,519
- Cafe Built-In 2-Drawer Refrigerator: For those who want to fit a stylish fridge in a tight space, this 24-inch refrigerator by Cafe can be an excellent choice. From the brand’s customizable professional collection, this fridge has a 5.6-cubic-foot capacity, a door alarm, and soft-close drawers. Get the Cafe Built-In 2-Drawer Refrigerator at Lowe’s for $3,299
Shop for more Cafe refrigerators at:
About the Brand: Affordable and compact, Danby makes refrigerators that are well suited to condo and apartment living.
Price Range: $ to $$
Founded in Montreal, Quebec, in 1947, Danby started out making hot plates, slow cookers, and an early form of the portable air conditioner. The company spread through Canada and the United States with headquarters in Guelph, Ontario, and locations in Arizona, Alabama, and Massachusetts. Small appliances remain a specialty, and its compact fridges suit one- and two-person apartments and condos.
While they may not have the capacity to hold enough food for the average-size family, Danby fridges often suffice for single people and couples. And due to their compact size, these refrigerators are typically quite affordable.
- Danby Designer Freezerless Refrigerator: Made for one- or two-person apartments and condos, the Danby DAR110A1WDD refrigerator eschews the freezer to save space and measures a mere 24 inches by 26 inches by 59 inches to sit flush with most kitchen counters. Get the Danby Designer Freezerless Refrigerator on Amazon for $761.79
- Danby Beverage Center: A compact refrigerator, this beverage center offers an illuminated interior and glass door so it’s easy to see what’s inside the 3.1-cubic-foot fridge. Get the Danby Beverage Center on Amazon for $301.88
Shop for more Danby refrigerators at:
About the Brand: The German appliance company with a reputation for sleek and functional designs makes refrigerators that keep food neatly organized.
Price Range: $$$ to $$$$
Operating out of Germany, Bosch was founded in 1886 and now has facilities throughout the world, including a headquarters in Michigan; three research centers in Pennsylvania, California, and Massachusetts; and multiple factories and distribution centers across the U.S. The company produces a wide range of electronics, and its refrigerators are recognized for their attractive appearance and functional designs.
Expect Bosch refrigerators to have adjustable shelves, spacious storage, and multiple compartments, allowing users to customize the temperature and organize items to suit individual needs. The “place for everything” design helps consumers who struggle to keep the fridge tidy.
- Bosch 800 Series French 4 Door Refrigerator: The Bosch B36CL80SNS refrigerator has a pair of French doors at the top, a pull-out freezer drawer at the bottom, and a drawer in the middle where fruits and vegetables can experience the VitaFresh temperature and humidity control system. Get the Bosch 800 Series Refrigerator at The Home Depot for $3,399
- Bosch 500 Series Counter Depth Refrigerator: Featuring a quick ice-making system, this counter-depth refrigerator provides a built-in feel. It is designed to circulate cool air throughout to maintain the ideal temperature, and it is Energy Star qualified. Get the Bosch 500 Series Refrigerator at The Home Depot for $3,199
Shop for more Bosch refrigerators at:
About the Brand: Based in China, Haier owns both GE and Café brands and makes its own line of refrigerators that are appealing to the average consumer for their simple design and moderate price.
Price Range: $$ to $$$
Haier is a China-based company that was founded in 1984 as the Qingdao Refrigerator Co. The company grew quickly in both popularity and size, eventually acquiring GE’s appliance division in 2016. Through GE, Haier also owns the Café brand of appliances. Despite these acquisitions, Haier also manufactures its own brand of refrigerator that tends to have a more basic appearance than brands like Samsung or LG.
Haier refrigerators have clean exteriors and simple interiors that are made for functionality. They lack many of the premium features offered by competitors, but the average user can appreciate the reliable design and the affordable price for these refrigerators. However, parts for Haier refrigerators aren’t as easy to find as domestic brands, so repairs can be costly.
- Haier French Door Refrigerator: Bright, high-efficiency LED lighting and clear glass shelves and drawers are what waits inside this elegant Haier HRF15N3AGS refrigerator. Get the Haier French Door Refrigerator at The Home Depot for $1,349
- Haier Top-Freezer Refrigerator: Offered in three finishes, this top-freezer model delivers the basics in a simple design at an affordable price. Get the Haier Top-Freezer Refrigerator at Lowe’s for $449
Shop for more Haier refrigerators at:
How We Chose the Best Refrigerators
After extensive research reviewing the most popular models from the leading refrigerator brands, we narrowed the field from hundreds of refrigerators to this collection of top-quality models using criteria based on performance, aesthetic appeal, intended use, capacity, and configuration.
While the basic function of all refrigerators is the same—keeping food fresh and cool—there are many ways to achieve this objective through material, design, and technology. The models that made this list include refrigerators in a variety of finishes, sizes, door and drawer configurations, and price points. From smart refrigerators to stylish statement-makers to budget-friendly options, the refrigerators that made the Top Products list are some of the best options to meet today’s food storage needs.